I Don’t Like Sleeping With Anyone

by Lucky Red Hen on August 20, 2013

I don't like sleeping with anyone

Whose idea was it to sleep in the same bed as someone else because I’d like to smack that numbskull.

My body runs hotter than my husband’s, his inherited lack of body fat means he’s usually chilly. The blanket moves and I stir a little. My guy rarely snores loudly. It’s not bad if I’m deeply sleeping, when I’m not it wakes me easily. The creepy novel he’s writing seeps into his dreams causing nightmares that erupt in high-pitched shrieks that freak me awake. Once I wake in the dark of the night like that, drowsing off again is rough.

Desi and Lucy had it right with separate beds (as I explained in this previous post), but I bet these days people would question your relationship (none of their business) if they found out you don’t sleep together. Or, goodness, that you have separate bedrooms! (My eyes went real big typing that last word, with my eyebrows as tall as they’d go. Now you do it. You know what I mean now, huh?)

Having felt this way for years, I came up with a disguise for sleeping separate and finally convinced my husband I’d sleep better, which would make me happier and thus him happier. (I think he agreed just to get me to shut up.) If we had two extra-long twin or double beds, then we could push them together when we knew someone would see our room and throw a king-sized blanket over the top to hide the middle crack. Ta-da!

HOWEVER, I’ve been trying something different and easier the last couple months that¬†works! This solution might change marriages as we know them.

Same bed, separate sheets and blankets!

That’s IT and it works like a charm! I have my own, little eco-system that stays put where I want it as he turns in his own without causing a breeze to stir me awake (you know when the blanket is tucked under you snuggly then gets pulled away and up letting a swift bunch of cold air take it’s place). I sleep sounder, that makes me happier, and the whole family benefits.

Can Separate Beds Be the Key to a Happy Relationship?
article on MailOnline.com

Go ahead and try it if you’ve been having trouble sleeping with someone and you’re welcome.

{ 27 comments }

Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama August 20, 2013 at 3:59 pm

That puff of cold air is the worst – actually, that puff of cold air, plus them stealing the blanket is the worst…good thinking with the separate sheets and blankets is genius!!! Oh, and I was totally doing the eyebrow thing. Love ya and miss you mucho, my friend!!!

Lucky Red Hen August 20, 2013 at 9:04 pm

The eyebrow thing seals the solution together. Without it, I don’t think it’d make as much sense ;) Now that the kidlets are at school I can swing by and visit you, gimpy ;)

Becky @ Utah Sweet Savings August 20, 2013 at 4:10 pm

When I was on bedrest with my girls Jason slept in the other room in his own bed. He will tell you it was heavenly. We both loved it. If it wasn’t weird (and we had a bigger house) we would do it now. Every time he moves it wakes me up and annoys me. You are not alone my friend.

Lucky Red Hen August 20, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Our mattress is on the floor without a frame or box spring, so maybe that’s what helps with the turning over. There are some mattresses that are made to minimize the rumble effect of the other person rolling, so when you have lots of money you should buy one of those next time you’re mattress shopping :)

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings August 20, 2013 at 4:11 pm

seriously my husband every night is like “get away you’re boiling” but I”m the snuggler I’m going to keep your solution away from him he’d probably love it

Lucky Red Hen August 20, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Maybe if you had your own eco system you’d BOTH sleep with the perfect temperature, Marissa; but I won’t tell him our secret.

Aly August 20, 2013 at 6:06 pm

You are too funny. I don’t love sleeping with anyone either. LOL

Lucky Red Hen August 20, 2013 at 9:00 pm

So THAT’S why you turned me down! And here I thought you didn’t like me but it was just a case of I-don’t-like-sleeping-with-anyone-itus.

Summer August 20, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Have you been peeking in my bedroom?? This is exactly us! We do the seperate sheets and blankets thing – it helps a lot!

Lucky Red Hen August 20, 2013 at 8:59 pm

You caught me, Summer, I can’t help myself!

Ben Lane Hodson August 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I didn’t agree to get you to shut up. I agreed to make you happy.

And if you’re writing a novel of scary stories, they better darn well scare yourself or what’s the point? :)

Lucky Red Hen August 20, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Making me happy gets me to shut up, so you win either way, Ben ;)

Yvonne @ TriedandTasty August 21, 2013 at 12:38 am

This is such a great post. Although I don’t struggle with that, I think it’s refreshing to hear about the realness of your situation :) My husband and I do have separate blankets – he’s never as cold as I am, so he keeps it light and I bundle up and it totally works! Glad you were able to find a solution for you and your hubs!

Tee August 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm

So I’m trying to understand how you put separate sheets on one bed. This all sounds great, I just have to figure out how to implement it!

Lucky Red Hen August 21, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Same bottom/fitted sheet, separate twin sheets lay in the top sheets place with the bottom tucked in and the inner side of the sheet can be bunched (we have a down-filled duvet so the extra bulk underneath isn’t noticeable; plus we rarely make the bed anyway) to make your own side will, so to speak.

Beeeenice August 21, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I love it! We do the same thing! Revolutionized (and quite possibly saved) put marriage. I have a white comforter and he has a black one. Maybe someday we’ll get two matching ones, but for now, going over to the Dark Side has a whole new meaning *wink wink*.

Lucky Red Hen August 21, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Haha, the ‘dark side’ haha!

Sarah L. August 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Matt says I’m a blanket hog and I push him to the very edge of the bed until the dresser next to his side is the only thing that stops him from falling off. Haha!

Lucky Red Hen August 24, 2013 at 2:10 am

At least there’s a dresser! Haha!

Aimee @The Stylish Nest August 23, 2013 at 7:19 pm

First, so happy to know I wasn’t the only one who felt this way. For YEARS I begged my husband for another bed, thinking we could just have a HUGE bed in our room that would secretly be two queen sized ones. :) Luckily we solved the issue with our new bed, because it’s split in two. I finally got a good night of sleep the first night our new beds came.

Lucky Red Hen August 24, 2013 at 2:13 am

Hopefully we’ll get a new bed at some point (lucky you!) We also need a platform, our mattress is on the floor -_-

Lori Allred September 10, 2013 at 2:29 am

You are awesome!! My husband and I have been doing the separate blankets, sheets and stuff for a couple years now. I love my fluffy duvet and he likes is itty bitty thin quilt. We have always struggled with sheets (he hates them and pushes them to the bottom of the bed). So I think the two beds is brilliant. He also wishes the bed was harder, me softer….that would solve that problem, right. But in all honesty I tell my teenagers how LUCKY they are that they get their OWN ROOMS all the time. I don’t know who thought up “sharing” a room was a big motivation for marriage…feels like a demotion to me! I would love separate rooms…we never sleep on the same cycle and you would have double to locations to fool around!

Lucky Red Hen September 13, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Sigh, our own ROOM! Double the pleasure, double the fun/sleep :D

jamie September 12, 2013 at 11:32 am

oh. my. goodness.
i thought i was the only one wanting separate beds…let’s not even talk about separate rooms!
you are on to something.
love the sep sheets/blankets idea.
i do that sometimes…the blankets part.
the hubs would never go for separate beds…but i am so thankful to know i am not alone. God bless you.
~j

Lucky Red Hen September 13, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Misery loves company, Jamie, so at least we’ve got support even though we don’t get separate beds.

Dawn September 13, 2013 at 2:55 pm

After visiting Germany, we came back and changed our bedding. There, they use one fitted sheet, and two down comforters (twin size) with duvet covers; one for each person. It has been amazing…he steals covers, and I kick on and pull on all night due to, *ahem*, that age. ;) It has been wonderful. I always use 100% cotton duvet covers. So comfy all year long (and I live in Arizona!). In the morning, we each fold ours in half lengthwise, lay them on the bed butting up to each other, and have all the matchy pillows, and it looks great. Love it and it has saved a lot of frustration!

Lucky Red Hen September 13, 2013 at 5:34 pm

That sounds PRETTY! Cotton duvet covers, huh? Might have to try that to control my internal temperature gauge, thanks!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: